Whether in life or in many fields, there will always be a lot of name is not the same, but the shape is similar, the use of the same items, like we want to bring you to understand the Quartz powder, White Carbon Black and nano silica, although their appearance is similar, but they can not be directly equal, here HSA will talk to you about the relationship and difference between Quartz powder, White Carbon Black and nano silica are What are the differences?
Quartz powder is a micronized powder made of natural quartz (SiO2) or fused quartz (amorphous SiO2 after natural quartz has been fused and cooled at high temperature) through multiple processes such as crushing, ball milling (or vibrating, airflow grinding), flotation, acid purification, and high purity water treatment.
White Carbon Black
White Carbon Black is the collective name of amorphous silicic acid and silicate products, similar to carbon black in the rubber industry, is called silica, the molecular formula is SiO2-nH2O, where nH2O is in the form of surface hydroxyl groups, the appearance is generally white, is an amorphous granular solid without odor and toxicity.
Nano silica refers to the particle size in the nanometer scale (less than 100nm) of ultra-fine silica particles. It is an amorphous, white, odorless, non-toxic powder-like substance, a nano-material with adsorption of water-based hydroxyl groups on the surface.
Whether it is Quartz powder, White Carbon Black or nano silica, the main component of these 3 is SiO2. The difference is that silica, in addition to precipitated silica, fumed silica and ultrafine silica gel, also includes powdered aluminum silicate and calcium silicate, etc. In most cases, its composition can be expressed as SiO2-nH2O, where nH2O is in the form of surface hydroxyl groups which exists in the form of surface hydroxyl groups.
Chemical substance structure
Silicon dioxide has two forms: crystalline and amorphous non-crystalline. From the concept of Quartz powder, it is a generic term for Quartz powder, so Quartz powder contains both crystalline and non-crystalline states, and it is a three-dimensional mesh structure formed by the basic structure of silica-oxygen tetrahedra.
White Carbon Black
White Carbon Black is amorphous amorphous silica particles with a certain branching structure. It also has a spatial tetrahedral mesh structure composed of silicon and oxygen, with oxygen located above the apex of the tetrahedron and silicon located at the center of the tetrahedron. The characteristic of this structure lies in the fact that the oxygen on the apex and the apex on each of the other faces co-point, making SiO2 electrically neutral.
The surface of silica has three different types of hydroxyl groups:
- One hydroxyl group is the silicon-oxygen group that exists on the surface of silica that has been dehydrated, and the increase in temperature is not easy to remove the silicon-oxygen group;
- Another hydroxyl group because it contains positively charged H atoms, so it is particularly easy to hydrogen bond with atoms that have negative charge, and is called the isolated hydroxyl group;
- There is another type of hydroxyl group that has a strong adsorption effect on polar substances and can be hydrogen bonded to each other The neighboring hydroxyl groups that are bonded to each other.
Nano silica is an amorphous white powder with a flocculent and reticulate quasi-particle state. Its microstructure is nearly spherical, and there are unsaturated residual bonds and hydroxyl groups with different bonding states on the surface of the particles, and its molecular state is a three-dimensional chain structure.
Physical and chemical properties
(1) Good insulating property: Due to the high purity of Quartz powder, low impurity content, stable performance and excellent electrical insulation property, the cured products have good insulating property and anti-arc property.
(2) It can reduce the exothermic peak temperature of epoxy resin curing reaction, reduce the linear expansion coefficient and shrinkage rate of cured products, thus eliminating the internal stress of cured products and preventing cracking.
(3) Anti-corrosion: Quartz powder is not easy to react with other substances and does not react chemically with most acids and alkalis, and its particles evenly cover the surface of the object, which has strong anti-corrosion ability.
(4) The particle gradation is reasonable, which can reduce and eliminate the phenomenon of precipitation and delamination when used; it can enhance the tensile and compressive strength of the cured material, improve the wear resistance, and increase the thermal conductivity of the cured material and increase the flame retardant performance.
(5) Quartz powder treated with silane coupling agent has good wettability to various types of resins, good adsorption performance, easy to mix, no agglomeration phenomenon.
(6) Quartz powder as filler, added to organic resin, not only improves the performance of the cured products, but also reduces the cost of the product.
White Carbon Black
White Carbon Black is a porous material, chemically stable, non-combustible, high temperature resistant, tasteless, odorless, good electrical insulation, its aggregate form and microstructure is similar to carbon black. White Carbon Black has a wide range of uses, and can be used as reinforcing agent for rubber products, dispersant, carrier, etc.
nano silica is a non-toxic, tasteless, non-polluting white inorganic non-metallic material with small particle size (0-100nm). Its large specific surface area, ultraviolet, infrared, visible light has a strong reflective properties, the volume effect and quantum tunneling effect of nano silica to produce its permeability, and organic molecular compounds to form a spatial network structure, thereby greatly improving the mechanical strength of polymer materials, toughness, wear resistance and aging resistance, etc.
|Some technical indicators of nano silica|
|particle size||density||specific surface area||Thermal conductivity||speed of sound||Tap density||Impurity content|
|15-20||0.128-0.141||559-685||0.01||＜100||＜0.15||Cl＜0.028 common metal＜0.01|
Quartz powder can be divided into general Quartz powder (PG), electrical grade Quartz powder (DG), electronic grade Quartz powder (JG); according to its particle shape, it is divided into angular Quartz powder and spherical Quartz powder; among them, the Quartz powder obtained by direct grinding of quartz ore or silica is called crystalline Quartz powder, and the Quartz powder obtained by grinding of fused silica is called fused Quartz powder (RG); as well as the white carbon dioxide Quartz powder with extremely strict production process requirements. Quartz powders are called white carbon dioxide micronized powders.
The above-mentioned Quartz powders are called ordinary active Quartz powder (PGH), electric grade active Quartz powder (DGH), electronic grade crystalline active Quartz powder (JGH), electronic grade fused active Quartz powder (RGH) and spherical Quartz powder after organic surface modification.
White Carbon Black
White Carbon Black is divided into precipitated silica, fumed silica, non-metallic mineral silica and graminaceous silica according to its preparation method.
Nano silica is divided into physical and chemical nanosilica according to its preparation method. Among them, the chemical method is divided into chemical vapor reaction method, precipitation method, sol-gel method, microemulsion method and solid phase reaction method.
(1) Electronics: as electronic products such as integrated circuit blocks, semiconductor devices, plastic sealing material filler.
(2) Electricity: as filler for electric products such as current transformer, voltage transformer, dry-type transformer and other high-voltage electrical components.
(3) Glass: as the main material of glass fiber, used in the production of ordinary alkali-free glass fiber and glass fiber for the electronic industry.
(4) Rubber: silicone rubber and plastic filler.
(5) Paint and coating: as an additive for coating.
(6) Ceramics: conducive to the sintering of foam ceramics, and alumina micro powder reaction at a lower temperature can generate mullite crystal phase.
White Carbon Black
(1) Rubber: cross-linking in rubber, as reinforcing agent.
(2) Can be used as thickening agent, thixotropic agent, dispersant, flow control agent and anti-sink agent, can make the preparation colorful and increase the transparency.
(3) Plastic: It can improve the strength and toughness of materials, and obviously improve the water resistance and aging resistance.
(4) Agriculture: It can be used as an ideal carrier for medicine and pesticide; it can absorb a large amount of insecticide pesticide in pesticide.
(5) Daily necessities: in the application of toothpaste, White Carbon Black has good compatibility and physical properties, bar silica as toothpaste abrasive can clean teeth and remove spots.
(6) Papermaking: It can improve the whiteness of paper, make the quality of paper lighter, and suitable for high-speed printing.
Nano silicon dioxide
(1) Rubber: improve product strength, wear resistance and anti-aging properties.
(2) Plastics: can make plastics become more dense; improve the aging resistance and chemical resistance of materials.
(3) Coating: the strength of the coating film and wall bonding is greatly improved, the hardness of the coating film is significantly increased, and the surface self-cleaning ability is also improved.
(4) Medical, building materials, home appliances: it can act as a carrier in the preparation of biocides.
(5) Optical: as a new fiber optic material can effectively reduce energy loss.
(6) Catalysts: Because of its large specific surface area and chemical stability, it is often used as a catalyst.
(7) Sensors: Due to its good biocompatibility, it can be used as a support substrate to construct biomonitoring sensors for specific identification.
(8) Glass: improve the resistance to ultraviolet and infrared rays.
(9) Ceramics: It can improve the strength and elasticity of the material.
(10) Electronics: In the process of electronic assembly, it plays the role of toughening, densification and improving strength.
Relationship and difference
Through the above, it can be seen that Quartz powder, White Carbon Black and nano silica are different in basic concepts, but there is still a certain relationship, as follows.
- The main component of all three is SiO2, except that silica in most cases its composition can be expressed as SiO2-nH2O, where nH2O is in the form of surface hydroxyl groups.
- In terms of atomic structure, all three have silica-oxygen tetrahedral structure, but in terms of microstructure, there are three different types of hydroxyl groups on the surface of silica.
- In terms of properties, all three have the characteristics of colorless, odorless, large specific surface area, insulation and stability.
- In terms of application, all three are widely used in rubber.